What are spoken portraits?
A Tickertape Spoken Portrait is a professionally produced radio-style feature about a person. It is narrated by them, or by those who know them best. These are the forms it can take:
- a life-story — a kind of spoken memoir or spoken self-portrait — or a chapter of that story;
- an audio tribute to someone special, as told by their friends, colleagues or family;
- the story of a career;
- an account of a project or adventure;
- a celebration of what makes a person tick — a collection of memories linked to their passions, like food or gardening.
Why commission a spoken portrait?
So many reasons! Here are a few:
- as a personal project – perhaps you have been thinking about writing your memoirs, but have struggled to put pen to paper;
- to record the stories of a close family-member, colleague or friend in a way that really captures their voice and personality;
- as a thoughtful and unique gift, perhaps for a retirement, special birthday or anniversary;
- to celebrate someone special with an audio-tribute;
- to mark the achievements of a colleague, such as a retiring Chair;
- as a valuable and engaging addition to a family or business archive.
How are they presented?
What's involved in producing a spoken portrait?
There are typically four broad stages to the process.
- Planning. We discuss with you the scope and shape of the project, topics to cover and — in the case of audio tributes — people to interview.
- Interviewing. We usually interview people at their home or work place. We can also interview people over the phone.
- Editing. We finesse the sound quality and carefully and sensitively edit the material together to produce a feature that flows naturally, without the voice of the interviewer.
- Producing CDs and folders. Finally, we discuss with you text for the presentation folders, and arrange for CDs and folders to be printed.
What's the cost?
The basic cost is £1000 for a Spoken Portrait of up to one hour, based on a single interview. For this you receive:
- ten copies of the Spoken Portrait as an audio CD in bespoke packaging;
- the portrait as a digital MP3 file, sent to you electronically.
Some portraits may cost more, reflecting:
- travel expenses for interviews outside London;
- the cost of extra time working on longer projects, or those that involve more than one interview.
We can advise you on price once we’ve talked through your ideas for a project.
A late cancellation fee does apply.
How can I find out more?
Perhaps you have an idea for a project but are uncertain whether it would work. Or maybe you want to find out more about the process. Whatever your query, get in touch and we can arrange to talk things through.