A Tickertape Spoken Portrait is a professionally produced radio-style feature about a person. It is narrated by them, or by those who know them best. These are the forms it can take:
- a life-story — a kind of spoken memoir or spoken self-portrait — or a chapter of that story;
- an audio tribute to someone special, as told by their friends, colleagues or family;
- the story of a career;
- an account of a project or adventure;
- a celebration of what makes a person tick — a collection of memories linked to their passions, like food or gardening.
Why commission a Spoken Portrait?
So many reasons! Here are a few:
- as a personal project – perhaps you have been thinking about writing your memoirs, but have struggled to put pen to paper;
- to record the stories of a close family-member, colleague or friend in a way that really captures their voice and personality;
- as a thoughtful and unique gift, perhaps for a retirement, special birthday or anniversary;
- to celebrate someone special with an audio-tribute;
- to mark the achievements of a colleague, such as a retiring Chair;
- as a valuable and engaging addition to a family or business archive.
What's involved in producing a Spoken Portrait?
There are typically four broad stages to the process.
- Planning. We discuss with you the scope and shape of the project, topics to cover and — in the case of audio tributes — people to interview.
- Interviewing. We usually interview people at their home or work place. We can also interview people over the phone.
- Editing. We carefully and sensitively edit the material together to produce a feature that flows naturally and seamlessly, without the voice of the interviewer. We meticulously remove long hesitations, “Ums” and “Ers” and finesse the sound quality.
- Producing CDs and folders. Finally, we discuss with you text for the presentation folders, and arrange for CDs and folders to be printed.
How are they presented?
Spoken Portraits come as limited edition audio CDs in handsomely designed packaging with a paper insert giving a summary of key events. We provide ten copies so that they can be given to family, friends and colleagues. We also provide a digital MP3 file of the Spoken Portrait, via email.
What's the cost?
The cost of a Spoken Portrait will vary depending on things like the number of interviews, the length of the feature and travel and accommodation for interviews outside London. We will provide a bespoke quotation after we have talked through your ideas for a project. For more information about costs, get in touch.
How can I find out more?
Perhaps you have an idea for a project but are uncertain whether it would work. Or maybe you want to find out more about the process. Whatever your query, get in touch and we can arrange to talk things through.